Islanders website: Has the recap of tonight's 4-3 shootout loss to the Atlanta Thrashers.
"We weren't disappointed in our effort," said head coach Ted Nolan. "These guys gave us all they have to give and tonight we just came up short."
"You can never say enough about our penalty kill guys," said Nolan. "You have to have guys that kill penalties and they’ve been doing that for us all year."
NYI Fan Central Comments:
A few good signs but a lot of bad signs too.
* Coming back down 3-1 after losing three in a row is a good sign.
* Finding a way to score the third goal on the power play when they needed it is a great sign.
* Holding Atlanta to 0-9 on the power play is a great sign.
* Scoring the opening goal is a good sign.
* Bill Guerin getting some quality shots, an assist and on the ice for two is a good sign.
* DiPietro got stronger as the game went along and made a few huge saves in the third.
* Two shorthanded goals given up were pathetic and all off Islander mistakes.
* Another short side goal against DiPietro is becoming a trend.
* Tambellini, Comrie reads on some plays led to goals against.
* Power play despite Vasicek's screen on Hunter's shot was terrible and it was more about what the Islanders could not do.
You take the point because they had to get something here and hope it's something they can build on. Sutton and Campoli were outstanding in this game, defense played well overall and bailed out DiPietro on two open nets and Gervais jumped in a few times also. Guerin looked far better at even strength than on the power play where they read what he was going to do and was too slow handling the puck. Comrie looks like he's alone at times and forcing plays.
Offense worked hard but it seems to take a dirty goal to finish anything or an outside shot. A lot of undisciplined penalties, a few weak calls against the Isles too. Atlanta's speed gave them trouble but it was nothing like the Coliseum game where they were giving up breakaways.
Last year Islanders were six games over five hundred and lost six in a row. That team
could find a way to score, this team has to get in the trenches to score at all.
I'm not sure what happens next. Some good signs, some terrible signs. Nolan has some tough calls to make about the players who have to contribute for this team to have a chance in Comrie and Guerin.
Bergenheim looks very good and just cannot seem to get a chance for even reasons the broadcast wondered about. Park as always worked hard and Simon was in on chances.
One final observation. This team misses Viktor Kozlov in shootouts. Guerin has no move other than to look five hole.