Newsday: Greg Logan has the weekly Islanders Insider on the trade deadline with Garth Snow and Ted Nolan's comments.
NYI Fan Central Comments:
Again my advice here is to read the article and draw your own conclusions between speculation and the actual quotes but among the highlights:
* The article has the gm's comments that a Ryan Smyth type of move won't happen this year because he wants to keep his first round pick and in general, the top prospects who remain in the organization are ones he declined to part with last year.
* The Isles gm talked about the value of cap space and that if other teams want that space you better give a good asset for it and of the long term plan to win the Stanley Cup.
* He made it clear he will not mortgage the future to try to get a quick fix.
* Asked about the progress of negotiations with his pending free agents:
We've made offers. That's as far as I'll go.
* Satan has a no trade clause and Dallas as been in the rumors but has built a home here. The gm declined comments on possible offers he has received.
* Ted Nolan supports his gm and feels he has to build this team and make the best decisions not only for the short term, but for the long-term success of the team. You can bring a young kid in who can do equally as well as a veteran can when the subject of trading someone to create a spot for Tambellini came up.
* The Islander coach also feels his job is to make sure we get these guys focused on trying to win right now and that they will try to win with who they have.
* Miroslav Satan admitted that his no trade clause and being unrestricted with the deadline has served as a powerful motivating force but talked about how well the club has played.
* Blake Comeau talked about the hit by San Jose's Douglas Murray.
* Mr Logan speculated about Brad Richard and Bryan McCabe but felt it would take the Leafs first rounder to be included for the Isles to make such a trade with Toronto.
* A team meeting in Minnesota accounts for the improved defensive play.